On Getting A Cat (aka Little Steps)


It's now been a couple of weeks since we moved. It has certainly been quite a ride as we are starting to settle in to new rhythms.
Apparently, a new rhythm includes a cat. What a turn of events. I never thought I'd own a cat. I like cats, don't get me wrong. But I never thought I'd own one of my own.
Now for anyone who doesn't know, I am decently allergic to cats.  However, over time I get used to cats and the allergies become less-I found this out with Katie's cats at home.
When we went to visit the Humane Society, I could feel the allergies kicking in, my eyes watering and my throat scratching. But allergies will lessen with Rosie the more she's here! I can tell already that it's not nearly as bad as it was yesterday.
But a cat brings with it new, different normals. Last night, as we all collectively adjusted to each other, was probably the worst night of sleep I've had in a while. It was hot, and she kept either meowing or jumping on the bed, and it was just bad. today, she seems more comfortable. Tonight, I'm hoping for a little better result. And tomorrow. And the next day. As she gets used to us and to her new home, it's going to get better.

This slow, faithful pace of creating new normals shows up in other areas of life as well!  It's been two weeks, and I'm slowly settling in to a new job and a different setting and surrounding. I can't do youth ministry the same way that I have in the past. It's a learning curve, but tomorrow we will move a little closer. And the next day. Little steps of faithfulness. It's the same for making friends, finding routines, finding work, and all of the things that come with the "new". It takes dedication, and perseverance, and the willingness to do the little things necessary to create new and lasting change. Right now, it doesn't feel like much is happening. But if we continue to do the little things, day by day, eventually things are going to come around.

In the book of Lamentations, Jeremiah is in sorrow because of what he has seen and experienced in his life. He has been walking with God and still felt abandoned. He despairs and isn't sure how he can carry on. Around the halfway mark of the lament, however, Jeremiah calls this to mind: "The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.". And in this he rests. Even with what's happening around him, he can rest in the knowledge that God is with him, that His hand is upon him, and that He is going before him in life. He can take the little steps and he can move, day by day, faithfully pursuing what God has for him. 


Now right now, my situation isn't nearly as dire as how Jeremiah feels in this passage of lament. But there are times where it's felt like I'm isolated and alone. There are times where it feels like the road is long ahead, and that life isn't happening at the rate that I want it to, and that ministry isn't developing at the rate that I want it to, that God is more distant in this venture than I first thought.

But then I think-I've only been here two weeks! I have to take it one day at a time, with complete  reliance on the Lord. Every morning His mercy is new in my life. Every day is a new chance to take a small, faithful step in the direction He is calling me. I can take each day on knowing that the Lord is forever going to love me, and day by day going to walk with me. 

God's love doesn't run out on me. His mercy for me doesn't end, it is renewed with each day. Great is God's faithfulness to do what He's promised. And for me, to walk in that faithfulness means to take each day, to take each mercy, to take each moment and faithfully pursue what God has for me. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Patience, Patience, Patience

The Layer That Matters Most